Sunday, November 26, 2017

Family Gathers in Fresno

November 17-26, 2017
Santa Clarita-Fresno, California

Mommy and Ezra ready for their "ride in the bus" last week.
We've settled into the "being home" mode with days running into each other. 

Richie and girlfriend Gabby bring over breakfast on Friday morning and we enjoy getting caught up with them. They drive away and I remember my camera. I swear I have a mental block about capturing people.

Over the weekend we visit Ezra and his parents, do a little shopping, and watch mid-season (how is it half over?) football. 

A punch of fall color at the post office.
Monday I go to the dentist for a regular check-up. Turns out that whole "flossing everyday" thing really makes a difference :-))) 61 years old and I'm sort of disappointed I didn't get a smiley sticker!

Nick's in-laws are really fun people, and Tuesday evening we meet up with Steve and Denice for tacos and great conversation. We're already looking forward to seeing them again before we leave. You weren't expecting a photo right?

Whether you take Interstate 5 or Highway 99, the drive north from Los Angeles County is dull. Wednesday we leave the Jeep at the RV park and head over Grapevine Pass. It's an easy drive, but as we descend into the Central Valley we're shocked at the black air waiting for us! It's really disgusting to see the level of pollution trapped by the inversion layer. Don't guess we can hold our breath for three days...

Not much heavy traffic, and we're setting up at our cousins Cindy and Kurt's home again. It's a long drive, but so worth it to have our own house when visiting.

Lots of space!
I am an only child and have three cousins I've lost track of over the years. For most of my adult life, family has been my two sons and myself. Marrying into a family of lots and lots of cousins has given me the opportunity to be part of several big gatherings. This Thanksgiving we spend with 30+ great people from four generations! Only one of our sons can make it from SoCal, the rest having plans with other family or living out of state.

Third and fourth generation - they had SO much fun on the bouncy house!
The big boys setting up our dinner seating.

Cousin David decides if Bill is serious....

A delicious spread!

A combination of screens,

and board games kept everybody entertained when indoors. Thanks Oliver - you win the photos for the day!

Harry Potter Clue - Malfoy did it (of course).

Tessa holds down the sofa, waiting for the next human to come pet her.

The youngest, Ellie, stole our hearts.

Enjoying good eats with Jenna and Cindy under sunny skies.

Sterlings and Haleys - Sarah is the shy one......

Another table full inside.

So happy to have mother-son time for the holiday! 93 years old, Anne is our oldest matriarch.
Friday we had a nice gathering of the Gravel branch of the tree - Jessica, Corey, Melissa, Marilynn, Jenna, Bill, Joey, Anne, Lauren, and Noah. Love them all bunches!
We wrap up the evening playing Harry Potter trivia - yes, we're a Hogwarts family :-)))
I hear from Brian that Ezra is swimming in 95 degree weather 'back home'. All my life in California, and hot weather for the holidays still seems wrong.

What a grand time we had with this fun and loving family of ours!!

We load up, visit Anne one last time, and head out after 1:00 on Saturday. Until we get to the pass we avoid any heavy traffic. It's almost 4:00 when we pull back into our site, and we're quickly set up for another couple weeks.




19 comments:

  1. For sure fun with family is best. Glad you liked the Harry Potter games, my daughter was the artistic lead for them. We burned the Scabers Ally cards in Yosemite. Dang rat wasn't an Ally....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she would be a celebrity in this family!!! We thoroughly enjoyed playing them for days :-)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic holiday meal and gathering for so many family members! It's great you were able to take the MH with you. Yes, it is nice to have our home along:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a lot of kids!! It was great fun for all.

      Delete
  3. Family gatherings are so much fun. Looks like you were able to enjoy wonderful people and have a fabulous holiday! Nothing is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m an only child too Jodee...I love Joe’s big family gatherings! Great smiles and I’m sure the laughter filled all the spaces inside & outside! It’s so great you can take your home there...makes visiting so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More of us "onlys" thank I realized! There was definitely a lot of laughter - wonderful music!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! So neat to see photos of Bill's family! :). Very fun, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful family gathering -- and you remembered to take lots of photos! Yay! Love seeing all the smiles and good times. Isn't it great to always have our homes with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I remembered the camera :-) Having the house there is the best!

      Delete
  7. That first picture is just fantastic. Print it out, frame it and make it a holiday gift to them. I have that same “mental block” about capturing people. For me it’s that I often get the feeling they don’t want the camera on them. Your comment about having your own house when visiting is so true. I really hate flying and staying with people now. I just feel like I’m imposing in a way I don’t if I park my house in their driveway. Great photo Oliver. We can guess what you think. We love to play clue. Had no idea they had a Harry Potter version of it. Ellie is a definite cutie and so is Anne Wonderful family gathering pictures. Pretty clear how much fun people had. I agree about warm weather winter holidays. Just doesn’t seem right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely those who would "prefer" no photos and I try to avoid them if I can. I'm not a board game person, but do enjoy trivia - and Harry Potter of course :-)

      Delete
    2. I agree that first pic is a keeper! Shalise took the selfie and I love it.

      Delete
  8. Time with family is awesome but so is having your own home with you. A happy looking group. I always forget people pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fortunate that they have so much room in their big lot!

      Delete
  9. No pictures? Again? I'm beginning to think you don't really know all those people ;-) Tessa looks deflated on the sofa! Great holiday with family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It's like I'm making them up :-)))) She was worn out.

      Delete