Friday, April 10, 2020

During the Virus Posting

April 10, 2020
Tombstone, Arizona


For a couple years before going fulltime in the RV I started reading blogs of those who had been traveling for years and others who were just getting ready like we were. Lots of different experiences, but all in similar circumstances. We were all in the US, and all excited about the amazing freedom of living on the road. Lots of adventures and lots of plans.

So different from today. 

Over the last 18 months there were already a lot of changes for many of us. Two couples have moved their travels to RVing in Europe. Two couples have sold their rigs and moved into permanent sticks and bricks again. Some of us have purchased properties for winter or summer bases. A couple already had bases they maintained after hitting the road. Only a few are still RVing fulltime. Most of us are still blogging :-)

We've shared so much over the years beyond just our travels. Weddings, new grand and great-grandchildren, deaths of family, friends and furbabies, retirements and new jobs, and lots of other life experiences. We've enjoyed wonderful meetups all over the country as well as "copied" routes that we learned from each other. 

And now we have very different blog posts. I'm grateful that everyone is still sharing their experiences, keeping us all "in the loop" on how our new normal is being played out in their lives. I'm grateful for the comments on all our blogs from others checking in. 

Again (or still) we have a variety of experiences under similar circumstances. Those in Europe and Canada remind us that the whole world is impacted by COVID-19. Those still fulltiming are faced with very new challenges finding safe and long-term answers to staying home. And certainly those of us who now (or already had) have a stationary house are grateful for the unexpected value of safe and permanent. 

All of us have cancelled, altered, postponed and lost months of planned routes. Some remain optimistic that some summer travel will still be possible, others like us have decided to transfer all of this year's plans to next year. The exception for us is we haven't cancelled our September houseboat trip on Lake Powell. I'm sure there are other exceptions as well.

In the meantime we continue to enjoy our desert with the added bonus of a little boy and his parents. Being told "I love you Nawma!" and "You're my best friend PopPop!" certainly make up for a lot of postponed adventure :-)))


Unlike the deserts to the north of us, our wildflowers are slow in coming.

The power of the sidewalk chalk!





Keeping the bird bath full of water.

Checking out the Sycamore's new sprouts.
I'm still deciding if reading my posts from past years is encouraging (we will return to the road eventually), or just depressing (it's hard knowing I can't yet make plans). Certainly I'm happy that I and my fellow bloggers have captured both our amazing past travels and our current surreal experiences that we can all access whenever we want!

In addition to traveling fulltime, all of us agree that the friends we've made through our blogs has been a wonderful bonus of this life. I feel a continued, even enhanced, connection with my blogging buddies and our readers through this crisis, giving me incentive to keep posting!

Everyone be safe, stay home, remain positive - and definitely keep posting, reading and commenting!!

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for continued posting. When people don't blog for a while I start to get worried. You are all my tribe. I am glad you have a safe place to be, with family too. Other than some parks shutting down, I think full-timers already know how to distance. Love your big open and colorful skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure helps to feel more "normal" to hear from everyone.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you and I love the photos of Ezra! Nothing like family and a little boy to help pass the time while we stay in place. It is very strange time for all for sure. I am still holding out hope that we can head out st the end of May. Most of our spring/summer plan is in wilderness areas. So I have my fingers crossed we can still keep to our plan. Thanks for the update. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful to see you back out in the wild, on new trails!

      Delete
  3. We are so thankful for the friends we've made over our 7 years of full timing. Since our plans were to volunteer all summer the only change has been our plans getting there, with a stop in TX for a short visit. Over the last year I've seen a number of bloggers come off the road, makes us sad because we'll not be able to "play" with some of them as much. Stay safe and enjoy the family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping you find your way here in the future, and we'll definitely hope for a meet up "out there"!

      Delete
  4. I have days when I'm so busy remaining positive isn't an issue and then there are those other days. I still love reading the blogs and the comments--seeing what everyone is doing. It seems so many of the RVers have come off the road--maybe it's just our ages?? Stay safe Jodee and Bill--soak up some warmth for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting that so many of us made changes around the same time! We had a really cold day yesterday, but temps are back up again so lots of warmth to soak up :-)) Looking forward to see what you get up to in Montana!

      Delete
  5. It's been raining all week here, makes the Stay Home Mandate easier to comply with. But I sure miss those blue skies and getting outdoors, Ezra looks like he is enjoying being out too. Stay Safe and Lave sus manos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands are so dry :-)))) We had a smidge of rain and cold yesterday to keep us tucked inside. Sure glad we have more space during this time!

      Delete
  6. Reading everyone's blogs is what's keeping me sane during this turbulent time. Thanks for continuing to post. Hug Ezra for me since there are so few people we dare hug now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that reading blogs and FB posts from around the country and beyond helps me as well. Having that connection with real people sharing their real experiences gives me a better pic beyond our small piece of the world.

      Delete
  7. It means so much to read "everyone's" blog with the uncertainty in the world. While we certainly have it better than many others, it's unnerving to think about what is going on around us. Reading our friends thoughts and hearing about their ordinary lives help ground us. It's so nice for you to have some of your family around you, a little boy makes life
    so much fun! We've cancelled our summer plans and will head back to the lake for the summer. Hopefully we'll be able to recreate it next year and that's what I'm looking forward to. See you down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have that little slice of heaven to spend your summer - and then you don't have to create a brand new route for next year!

      Delete
  8. I also like reading our friends blogs and knowing how they're coping during these challenging times. I'm glad you guys are safe at home, and even better, that you have so much time to be with Ezra and family. Your sunsets are just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sure getting treated to some amazing skies!! Crazy that you guys were at the house with most of the work behind you when this all hit - and I'm so glad you have that safe space for as long as needed.

      Delete
  9. So envious of your having Ezra and his parents there. Very lonely here. Seems like a double whammy to lose David and a year later have to be quarantined alone. But it is lucky for them that both Carrie and Matthew still have their jobs. Very scary for those who don't and I fear that desire for reelection might lead to opening things up too early. Glad to see you all are safe and have really beautiful skies to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of you often, coping with "all this" on top of "all that"!! Grateful that you have a safe and beautiful place to stay safe though, and looking forward to more posts about what you're doing to keep busy. Good to hear the kids have their jobs, so far all our kids have maintained theirs as well. Remote access has made all the difference for most of them.

      Delete
  10. It is definitely a strange time for all of us but you are fortunate to be able to share it with family and in such a lovely location. We have summer plans on hold for now. Hard to imagine feeling comfortable traveling until there is a proven treatment or vaccine. I find it challenging to keep up the blog with nothing much going on but I do enjoy keeping up with all of the people we met or hoped to meet (like you :-)) during our years of fulltiming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t does seem to me that this summer we will still be avoiding gatherings and travels. Although I try to concentrate on other than the impact of the virus, I find that's what's most on my mind when I blog.

      Delete
  11. I guess you are going to see a season or two from your new place that you didn't expect to see just yet. So wonderful that you have Ezra and family with you, that's a miracle bonus and one of the good things to come out of the coronavirus. I do think there are good things and I hope they stay good when things return to our new normal. We think of you guys often and hope you are happy and healthy. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's the hottest spring they've had in ages, but we're learning what we need to do to the place to make it more comfortable for future summers when we're here all the time. Never thought we'd get to spend so much time with family so we're definitely loving that!! We miss you two and I'm so happy you've been doing regular posts - since you're sooooo far away! Love you!!

      Delete