Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Cold Catch-ups from Tombstone

 January 11 - 25, 2023
Tombstone, Arizona



Not sure if I'm somehow worried about 2023, but this is the first new year in a long time where I'm having trouble remembering to write 23 instead of 22. With all the catch-up medical appointments I'm filling out more paperwork than usual so you'd think I'd have it correct nearly a month in. Nope, did it again just yesterday. 

I'm sure it isn't age related.......

Lots of good intentions on my part for getting things done outside but our January has been cold, cold, cold. Our night time lows have been under 30 for ten days with another week of the same forecast. The mostly sunny skies are deceptive as one step outdoors and I'm making a mad dash back inside - especially when the wind's blowing too! We did get snow overnight a couple days ago with some of it still sticking in the shade of the front yard today. 

Monday morning snow.

All of our kids except two are in SoCal where weather has been a big factor as well. The missing rains of the last several years all showed up at the same time with devastating impact. Fortunately none of the family has had any damage. Brian has been working 90% remotely which is a good thing as his commute is on "the Grapevine", Interstate 5. Living in the mountains means their rain is often snow.

When water moves the earth.

Ezra enjoys a snow day.

Elliott ready to throw his snow ball.

I did get out to spend a fun afternoon with fellow RVers learning how to do needle-felting. We started out with squares and moved on to first steps for making small animals. I'm hooked and looking forward to doing more! Rebecca reserved the little meeting space for weekly get-togethers, so should be a great addition to my slow winter "schedule". I'm sure I'll be an expert after next week so I'll try to remember to get pics :-))

Bill's MOHs procedure went quickly with them finding no other spots. For a little place, they made a big cut - looks like I cleaved him with an axe! Nope, no pics of that either. 

Even with the cold, Rebecca and I are ready for a day out and about. Layered and wrapped, we make the beautiful drive to Tubac. Even though we've been before, there always seem to be places we missed the last time. And the galleries change offerings so that the ones we've seen are still new. Although cold, the sun is bright and it's a beautiful day to wander among the wonderful adobe and stone buildings. 

The paddles on this Prickly Pear are larger than serving platters!

Pre-festival week days are perfect for avoiding the large crowds.

I bet you can guess the title of this one.

I fell in love with these two.

Many galleries have artists who have captured native themes in a variety of ways. I love the colors in this table piece. 

The temperature difference is extreme between the sun and shade. The dapples bring the art outside.

Just more room in the Jeep and more padding in the bank and these cuties would have come home with me!

Many of the galleries have vignettes as lovely as their art.

My anti-pasto lunch continued the "work of art" theme!

We each have a couple more medical appointments in the next month, and more fun is a planned trip to SoCal to see the family. Reservations are made and I can't wait to see them all!

Speaking of reservations I've also filled in some blanks for our spring/summer travels. Still finding places that are fully booked for the dates I wanted, but I've managed to get Memorial and Labor Days covered. We'll be in Canada for July 4th (and for their Canada Day on July 1st) so that period is my priority to complete this week. 

1 year-old Oliver is all smiles.


Life is good, we're blessed.

19 comments:

  1. My Dave's first Mohs surgery was on his ear; he made me think of cattle having their ears notched. His current biopsy is on his nose so he's wearing a big white patch while we wait for the results. At least the clinic he goes to now has the Mohs surgeon and the plastic surgeon both on site so they do the whole shebang on the same day there.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good combination to have together!

      Delete
  2. Oh my Elliot looks cold! We've had too little rain for so long, it's amazing how much damage too much can do.
    Planning out a trip is part of the fun. Looking forward to hearing of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his little nose was so red :-) Wish they'd figure out a better way to hold on to what now flows out to sea in concrete "rivers". I love planning until I start running into full parks :-(

      Delete
  3. It sure has been cold for way too long! Our little wood burning stove is working hard. Those babies are so cute! I miss Ezra's curls! And I too love those little donkeys--I bet you did want to bring them home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donkeys were really heavy too so might have remained standing in the winds!

      Delete
  4. I was trying to think of some alternate title to come up with for the "Rock, Paper, Scissors" sculpture but I'm all out of creativity at the moment, LOL. All of my energy is going to packing boxes. Your visits to Tubac always look like so much fun! At first I thought you said you needed more padding in the "back" (of the Jeep) and you would have brought them home, haha. Such darling kiddos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL definitely no more padding in back! Bet you'll be so happy to have the packing behind you :-)))

      Delete
  5. Burr....it has been a cold winter so far hasn't it! We manage to get out into the sun for second cup if there isn't any wind. I love Tubac! Such unusual and beautiful things to tempt me, is Elvira's still there? Mmmmm, I hope so. As usual, those little guys are so darling. It's so nice that you're close enough for visits now and again. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to say Elvira's is still there and just as beautiful (I just peeked in this time). We can't wait!!

      Delete
  6. Tubac always has something new to see…what a fun place to meander. It’s especially pretty in December with the luminaries. Love those rosy cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially great this time without any crowds!

      Delete
  7. Interesting artwork. I see some of those pieces and wonder what the house looks like that buys them. Our decor is so different I have a hard time picturing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that challenge with unique pieces of art that I really like but can't imagine where I'd ever put it!

      Delete
  8. We're at 4500' so we're cooler all year than Phoenix and other places more familiar. And we love the colder weather, having gotten more than tired of the heat of SoCal, so we did choose it partially for the climate :-) He'll likely have a scar but it will mostly be under a hat - and he's tall enough that most will never see it :-)))) I don't recall any scars on you so you probably notice them when others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those galleries are loaded with fun. Glad I live small. The kids look happy in the snow. Glad to hear Bill is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL when we were fulltime I always said "I'm glad I don't have a house" when exploring all the fun little downtowns and lovely galleries. Now that we have a house I'm glad it's a small one, but I'd also need a lottery win!

      Delete
  10. Yes, it has been far too cold this winter. We only had three days of break with low 60's and light wind. Our neighbor said the news was saying that this has been the coldest January in 20 years. Today was just plain ridiculous! We didn't get any snow but on the other side of the pass they did. But 43 degrees with 20 mph winds and rain/mist and heavy grey clouds is CRAZY!! I'm feeling a change for Feb!! Cute grand photos:) Don't forget us coming at the end of Feb when you are planning. Excited to finally catch up in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that it's the coldest in 20 years!! Glad we've had the house :-)) Can't wait to see you guys - it's been too long.

      Delete