Saturday, March 16, 2024

Family, Fire, Flurries and Fences

 March 1 - 11, 2024
Tombstone, Arizona

My family is small. Three cousins, one cousin-once-removed, two sons and two grandsons. My mother had many cousins whose families I have sadly lost track of over the years. Bill however has a much larger family who I am delighted to also now call my own. His only nephew David is a favorite, and we've been able to visit with he and his wonderful wife Morgan a few times in our travels. They live in California's Bay Area. We last saw them last summer at our sister-in-law's lake house, and they promised to come see us this winter.

Promise kept, they arrive at the Tucson airport on Tuesday! We snug into the Ford with Tessa happily tucked between what will become her most bestest, non-stop petting, snuggling pals. Taking the scenic route (Hwy 83/82) to begin the tour of our little corner of Arizona, we have dinner in Tombstone and then home.

Team Back Seat ready for adventure!

Tessa and Morgan, happy girls.

Bill has treatment on Wednesday, so the four of us head for a day in nearby Bisbee. The weather for their visit is expected to be colder than usual for March, but we get some intermittent sunshine for a few hours of walking among the history and fun that is Bisbee, Arizona.

The devastating Valentine's Day fire closed a section of Bisbee's main commercial district to both vehicles and pedestrians. There is no street parking anyway, so while there's a detour and a few less places to peruse, there's no impact on the parking. Not much impact on tourist activity either. Walking, eateries, galleries and shops are at the usual bustle on a pretty spring day.

No information on when they expect to open again.

Sadly the neighboring businesses have had to remain closed as well.

One gallery and the olive oil/vinegar store were gutted.

The plus side of detours is seeing things I haven't in the past!

Several little inns and motels I never knew were here.

The brewery building is gorgeous.

Morgan and David


More stairs around every corner.

David is a wonderful photographer and was in heaven capturing the magic that is Bisbee and surrounds.



Bill is able to join us for our Thursday drive to Chiricahua National Monument. Every time I've been here it's been cold and windy. Every. Time. Keeping the tradition alive, the wind is biting cold - with snow flurries at the top! Come to Arizona they said, it's so warm they said....."

March in Arizona......Bill isn't impressed :-)

Having a sun roof again is a treat in the park.

The layers of Sulphur Springs Valley across the hoodoos.

Capturing the capture of Cochise Head in the clouds. Not easy in the gusting winds!

Not visible, but the snow stings Morgan as she shoots the storm.

Moving east, the storm crosses into New Mexico.

David's amazing capture of Cochise Head.

Stunning hoodoos through David's eye.

We wrap up our chilly visit with a stop at the visitor's center - one of the smallest, and best in the state - and lunch in the car :-)

Having dinners and wonderful conversations around our table each evening is such a treat - we really enjoy these two young people.

For the last day before they have to leave we check out our nearby "big town" of Sierra Vista, the small historic ranch at Brown Canyon, and finally our own hometown/historical/tourist Tombstone. 

With less wind and more sunshine, it's a pretty day for exploring the little homestead.

The huge Cottonwoods are leafing out quickly.

I'm surprised to see the Border Blimp "parked" just over the fence. It's usually in a field several miles away.



I love the simple beauty of David's pic from the corrals.

They have a later flight on Saturday so we laze around the house for a bit then head for early dinner in Tucson. Hoping for an authentic Mexican food experience, we're too late to wait for the extensive line at Mi Nidito. Instead we opt for the place across the street that's able to get us in right away - and is still very good! 

Sorry to see them go, we're already hoping for a return visit in the Fall!

Posing for David from the front yard.

In addition to nephew David's creativity, we're blessed to have other talented family. My cousin David's son, Jake Prendez, is a wonderful artist with his own gallery in Seattle. David asks me which of his prints I'd like for my own, and I'm excited to receive it in the mail a few weeks later. 

Titled Generations of Genetics, I call her Lucita's Legacy - and I love her bunches!







16 comments:

  1. The Four Fs, fun title! David certainly does have a photographer's eye. Give me a fancy camera and I'd still take snapshots, but David could take a masterpiece with a pin-hole camera :)
    Great time with family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His camera is inCREDible - I have major lens envy!

      Delete
  2. What a fun time you guys have had! And I agree, David is one heck of a photographer! Mi Nidto--haven't heard of that one and will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to run around with other photographers! I've yet to eat there but have been wanting to try it and Rollies for a long time. Mi Nidito has been there a million years I think :-)

      Delete
  3. What a fun time exploring with family…company is so awesome! I especially like sharing favorite places with family and friends too! Mi Nidito was a family owned restaurant for 72 years, and recently sold it to the owner of the restaurant where you ate…Guillermo’s across the street. We ate at Mi Nidito several times while staying at Lazydays and full-timing. Rollies is on the list! I love your new piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 72 years! I knew it was there a "while" :-)) Interesting to own both of them now! It's definitely fun to live somewhere with so many great places to share.

      Delete
  4. So wonderful to have family visits! We want another trip to Chiricahua. Dad about the Bisbee fire. That’s another fun place to roam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both places are really fun, and always have something new to see. Hopefully they'll be able to save those old buildings and get the street open again soon.

      Delete
  5. What a great time with family! I'm sure they enjoyed seeing all the beauty of your area even with a "little breeze and chill!" Haha! Lovely photos!! Both Cochise Head photos are great and show the the face so well with the details. Bill sitting on the bench gave me a laugh. Tell us exactly how much you're enjoying the area, Bill...haha! More wonderful family memories:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah wasn't a good time for him to expound on the virtues of the area :-)))) There's nothing like visitors to get you out exploring in your own backyard, we had a great time.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had a very fun visit with Morgan and David. You guys did a lot! I didn't know about the fire in Bisbee on Valentine's Day. It looks like it burned the building next to Cafe Roka, which is our favorite restaurant there. Fire is especially scary in a town where the buildings are so close together and the streets are so narrow. We love Bisbee, as I know you do. I'm always happy to tag along with you through your photos. :-)) The one time we camped for several days and hiked in Chiricahua National Monument it was unbelievably cold and windy. I thought it was because it was December, but It must be like that all the time! I cracked up at your comment about Bill not being impressed, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the only time I've been to CNM when it wasn't cold and windy was when my boys were little and we took a long summer drive from Tucson! Cafes and shops on both side of the burn are closed for now, during peak tourist time, so I hope they can survive the hit :-(

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about the fire in Bisbee but so glad that it didn't take the entire town . What a tragedy that would have been.

    You did an excellent job as tour guides and your photographer did as well. What talented families you both have. I can certainly see why Jake has a gallery in Seattle that is a fantastic painting. Lucky you to have a print. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get to the PNW this summer I'm hoping to get to Jake's gallery. We do have lots of creativity in our little family!

      Delete
  8. We were sad to hear about and see the Bisbee fire. I hope they are able to rebuild and retain some of the old charm, but I bet they'll just demolish....sigh. Great pictures of great places but my favorite was of Bill hunched on the bench. No words were needed! We laughed and laughed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see what looked like little damage on the front and bottom, but the interiors did look completely gutted :-( Still no word on the next steps. Yeah Bill was the perfect pic of how we were all feeling that cold day LOL!!

      Delete