Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dearly Departed Desert Dogs


Two of them weren't desert dogs at all, and the others only spent a couple years there, but when trying to find a good spot for playing in the afterlife, I decided the wide open space of Joshua Tree, CA, was a pretty sweet spot.

We took a day trip to the high desert north of Palm Springs yesterday to mark another item off our pre-launch list. We needed to spread the ashes of four sweet and wonderful doggies who passed over the last few years. Don't ask why I waited so long on a couple of them. When it's not the right time, it's not the right time. Definitely don't ask about my mom.......

My boys and I lived in Joshua Tree for a couple years with our two dogs, Squeakie and Nokomis. We'd had Squeakie for years and Nokomis was only a year old. Although we had three fenced acres of desert at the house, the exact same desert on the other side was much better and the two of them were always digging out. They would spend a few hours doing dog stuff, and always return. Our property was at the end of a dirt road with lots and lots of room to run in all directions.

When we moved to the city I rescued two older German Shepherds, Max and Murphy, who lived their last happy and spoiled years with us. We never took them to play in the desert but I'm sure they would have loved it.

We lost Nokomis in November of 2012, just before I retired.

I have kept their ashes and dog collars with me, but downsizing moved the decision of where to "leave" them to the list of must-dos. One day it dawned on me that Squeakie and Nokomis would love the miles of open desert, and those old boys would have a ball chasing them around.

My old house is still there, and it's still the last one at the end of the dirt road. Nothing but desert for miles, with views of snow on San Gorgonio and the ruggedness of the mountains bordering Joshua Tree National Park. We drove the Jeep off the road a bit to find a spot.

After spreading them in the wind and burying a little of each of them together with their collars by a bush so they would always be able to find one another, I knew this was the perfect place. Never felt sad, just remembered all their silly faces and said good-bye.

So much room to play

Meet back here
With our mission accomplished we headed over to check out the Joshua Tree Lake RV Park. Lake? I definitely didn't remember that. Sure enough, there's a cute little park out Sunfair Road with FHUs and a pond (lake is truly an exaggeration). Very clean, large spaces, great views - it would be a great place to spend a week for those whose rig won't fit in the national park campgrounds (like us).  We just may be back to share the area with the pups!

We also checked out the boondocking location on the big dry lake. Pretty rough access road, but definitely lots of hard, flat desert to camp on for free.

After a yummy lunch in Yucca Valley we headed for home. In the morning we had noticed lots of RVs headed West, like dozens and dozens of motorhomes and 5ers fighting the high winds. There was actually "traffic" with one or two lanes going very slow. Bill thought maybe the music event, Stagecoach, had been last weekend. On our return trip they were all gone, but we passed a van with "Stagecoach carpool caravan" on the window and Bill's guess was confirmed. We were lucky to miss the earlier jam and made it home without any delays.

So the doggies have their forever place now, and I can already close my eyes and see the four of them chasing around the greasewood and scaring up a lizard or two, having a grand ol' time.




20 comments:

  1. That's sweet Jodee and you found a desert oasis to boot. I thought of you when I was hit by a big wind in NM, imagining you driving that big rig of yours through hard winds gave me courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, glad to know I could help you through it - and it's always a bit scarier when you're alone. Go you!!

      Delete
    2. LOL...some day I really hope to meet you and Bill, keep in mind we have a long driveway in Fl!

      Delete
  2. I loved your dog story but I love dogs. After all, they become part of our families. We also like staying in the Palm Springs area but normally a little earlier in the year and sometimes a little later but not when it's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we consider them family as well. It was surprisingly cool up there for almost May - we were lucky :-)

      Delete
  3. I was wondering about that park for next time we are in the area, thanks for the info!

    Nice story about your old friends.All of us should be so lucky as to roam free across the desert in the hereafter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised to find it out there. Definitely bare bones, but easy to get to, close to the park, and safe and clean. Indeed, I'd love it as well :-)))

      Delete
  4. This is just a lovely story Jodee. You are right about the timing. You know when and where. Ours are all buried at the farm where they mostly ran free throughout their whole lives up and down the hills. Well the dogs that is. The horses and burros are buries there too. But when the farm is sold then...........well. I think yours is a better idea. You picked a great place to come and visit. Wish you'd have included a picture of your desert home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry :-) I left behind a horse at my ranch but fortunately at least for now my good friend owns it. I figure even when I can no longer visit, she will still be running the pasture and tipping over buckets in the barn.

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet story. I love that you sent all the doggies out into the desert to play together! As far as Joshua Tree Lake RV Park -- we ended up there in January when we arrived on a Friday and couldn't get a site in the National Park. It's a good location for exploring the north end of Joshua Tree, including hiking Jumbo Rocks and 49 Palms Oasis. The sites are spacious and having hookups is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. I was going to go back and check if that's where you stayed! My old house was near Sunfair so I was surprised I hadn't known about the park. Of course until you're living the RV life, you don't notice the RV places as much :-)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post, Jodee:) Your furry friends have a beautiful resting playground. How special:)

    I didn't realize there was a park there either. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. It sure feels good to know they're in a good place - and together :-)

      Delete
  7. What a perfect place to leave their ashes and memories. I stayed one night on the BLM by Joshua Tree and it was pretty nice but the road in is rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were surprised at how rutted and rough that access road was, even in the Jeep. There were three Airstreams there, but no one else.

      Delete
    2. I didn't share it with many either. Wonder if it's little known about or...

      Delete
  8. Wonderful place to forever play. And you can visit whenever you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. We figure there's little chance of any development and we can find it easily from the old house :-)))

      Delete
  9. Neat story for your beloved fur babies :-) We have kept collars from all of our dogs over the years. Now I know a great idea of what to do with them once we hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt really good to find a place for them all together.

      Delete