Sunday, July 26, 2026

A Bit of May, All of June and Most of July

May 22 - July 25, 2026
Tombstone, Arizona



Thanks to Gay and Sue for getting caught up on their own blogs and giving me some much needed inspiration. While I'm not doing much of note these days, I still like to think I'll want to know what was happening. 

Jeff takes me for breakfast and a bit of wandering in Bisbee for my birthday. The Bisbee Breakfast Club (the original) is always a favorite. As is the little historic area of Lowell it has always inhabited. It came as a big surprise to learn they are moving! They'll still be in Bisbee, but on the other end of town near the big church. I'm sure the food will still be good, but it will take some getting used to! 

I've never seen a bigger door anywhere!

There's an old recording studio just around the corner that I've never noticed. So cool!

The gymnasium window with "historic" exercise equipment.

Vintage pumps for leaded gas. A tad cheaper than today's offerings.

Vicky and I find a new diner for Tuesdays - The Bit has a small and tasty breakfast/lunch menu that we enjoy several weeks in a row. 

Many of our crafts group are gone for the summer <envy>, but there's still a small group who I love seeing every week. I've found over the last few years how much I appreciate time spent with these women. 

The monsoons are definitely here, and what we're all talking about. Every afternoon the clouds, thunder and wind roll in for a couple hours. Some days are more intense than others, but there's wet every day. 

Driving Bill home one afternoon I have to pull over to let the downpour pass over. It's zero visibility with wipers on high - I'm glad I know that road so well! After moving through 6 inches of water covering the road from berm to berm we reach completely dry road before arriving home. Another day I have to pull off on Hwy 90 along with a dozen other vehicles - including several state troopers with their lights flashing. They don't last long, but they're brutal.

As it started to clear....

At the house we're fortunate to not lose power even with 50 mph gusts and lots of close lightning strikes. Thunder shakes the walls and the big trees lean waaaaay over. And then it's gone.

So much water so fast.

Jeff captures this cell moving behind the Mules.

Our neighbors (no one lives there now) haven't fared as well. Their bunkhouse roof has peeled off completely over two weeks of storms.

20 minutes after the strongest storm so far - like it never happened :-)



We're also gifted with gorgeous skies.

In addition to rain, the wind brings dirt and dust, stripping paint and felling trees in town.


The heat and storms aren't outside-activity-friendly, but I check out a desert nursery in nearby Vail one morning. Four Arrows Garden is a lovely place with a large variety of happy, healthy plants. The addition of landscaped vignettes and children's play areas makes it a fun stop. I will be back to shop when it's cool enough to think about planting something in the yard!

Nice views.



So yeah, not much happening this summer, but life goes on and the desert keeps us entertained. 

The Gravel kids and grands get together in SoCal for the July 4th holiday. Lots of fun had by all. 

Oliver looking handsome, and ready to be a big brother in the near future.

Cassidy creates self-art.

Ezra and Elliott enjoy Blueysicles on a hot day.

Henry mastering the rope climb.



16 comments:

  1. YEA…a Jodee post! So happy to hear from you! I think I am sad the original Bisbee Breakfast Club is moving. I loved walking there and peeping in the windows…just being part of the “old” days was fun. There are several of the B B Cs in Tucson and the food is just as yummy (I love breakfast), but it doesn’t have the feel of the original one. Oh well, life goes on. I can’t imagine driving in all that rain and wind. If we go anywhere after one of those storms, we always see at least one vehicle in a ditch. Glad you made it home safely. And you are so right, the storms move on just like they arrived…very fast! I do love the cool air and smell outside when afterwards. Gorgeous skies! I am for sure going to Four Arrows. We pass by there often, but haven’t stopped! That’s a great photo of the family. And Cassidy is quite creative…especially that sweet little dot on the back of her big toe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad to see it too, seems like they could have just fixed up some of the building issues, but I don't know the why of the move yet. I think you'll like Four Arrows, it has a great vibe and some of their offerings are really stunning. You have the perfect place to bring some home!! I try not to be out in those crazy downpours but those couple snuck up me.

      Delete
  2. So, so glad to see your post Jodee! I too am sad to know the BBC is moving but I bet the food stays the same! That's exciting to read about the monsoons--rain in Arizona is always a good thing! I know what you mean about enjoying the company of your crafting friends--I miss my book club ladies from Pearce so, so much. How is Bill doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a crafter so this group has been a real gift to fill a day every week. I'll be curious to find out why they're moving after all these years. Bill is doing okay :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful to see a post from you. You really do have magnificent skies. Nice to hear you are getting out and about with Jeff and your friends at least a little. Not sure how I'd feel about monsoon rains and those winds. Too many trees here. Very happy belated birthday. Wish we could have been in Santa Fe for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could be in Santa Fe most of time :-)))) Not sure I'd be as welcoming to these storms if I was staying in PJ, but she's had no issues either. We're so green now we hardly look like desert at all!

      Delete
  4. Ezra is tall! At least there is a door he won’t have to duck for in Bisbee. :). I’d love to spend a day in that recording studio with my guitar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the second smallest in his 6th grade class, but still too tall for me! I think even that Florida basketball player could clear that door without a tilt :-) I looked for dates anywhere in that studio without success, but much of it reminded me of Sun Studios era pieces.

      Delete
  5. Yay! Hi Jodee! I'm glad you found me an "inspiration" to put out another blog. That gives me inspiration to not wait so long between posts..... It's much harder to do when there isn't much going on, but I love the keeping in touch feeling these gentle blogs provide friends. I keep checking my camera at home to see if we got that rain, but it doesn't look like it....sigh.
    We'll be in Bisbee this fall, I wonder if the BBC will be moved to it's new location by then....perhaps we can meet up there?
    As always, love the grand photos. Thanks to recent time spent with our little girl, I now know about Bluey! For instance, that he's a Blue Heeler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the route the monsoons have been following this season but your little road is probably happy to not have the big deluges! I think BBC is aiming for a Sept/Oct reopening so let's hope we can check it out together :-))) The grands have helped us to keep up on what used to be our Saturday morning cartoons that are now showing 24/7.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, Cassidy and her self art! We could certainly use some of that rain up here, but I guess you need it as well. Looks like everyone had a good time during the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was a washable marker - maybe :-)))) This has really been a year of too much or too little rain everywhere.

      Delete
  7. So good to hear from you, Jodee. Your skies are dramatically gorgeous as always, the kids are as adorable as ever, and I appreciate your appreciation of the tiny moments in life. Hugs to you both from both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right back! Being on the top of this knoll gives us such great views of those amazing skies.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe the rain you've gotten. And strong enough to cause you to pull over. We haven't seen but one little rainy hour about month ago. We don't even have clouds. Glad you're getting water for the desert. Sure doesn't make for spectacular skies. I'm sorry to hear the BBC is moving. I'll be interested to see exactly where they're going. I'd love to come back to visit Bisbee. It's been years. I guess I need to put that on the list. What wonderful photos of the family. Boy are those grands growing fast. Glad I'm not aging that quickly!!! Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a respectable monsoon this year, much needed as it is in so many places. We look like Ireland this week! Bisbee is always a good destination . Yes I'm also glad to not be keeping up with the rapidly aging grands!! That they're all such different individuals, even the siblings, is wonderful to see develop. We're blessed for sure. We both send our best to you both.

      Delete