Saturday, February 5, 2022

This and That

January 26 - February 5, 2021
Tombstone, Arizona

Hard to believe the NFL season is already over - seems like just a few weeks ago Bill's Cowboys and my Steelers were playing the Hall of Fame game. But that was August! Alas, neither of our teams made it past the first round of playoffs. My QB retired after a stellar 18 years with Pittsburgh. I'll miss Big Ben, but he was right to hang up his cleats.

While we'd both rather see the Chiefs return to the Super Bowl- Cincinnati? really? - we're both excited the Rams will be playing it in their home stadium. 

I've always loved RC Gorman's paintings, and I finally picked up a small print on our Tubac shopping trip. I didn't realize until I unpacked my parcels that the Navajo folk art piece I'd also brought home matched the colors perfectly! Guess I was "feeling" purple and red that day :-)


I take a solo trip to Tucson for a lovely facial and an unsuccessful hunt for a couple items I don't really need anyway. Jeff and I enjoy breakfast in Bisbee where the Bisbee Breakfast Club never disappoints. Sad to learn that both of the old dogs who have been greeting us for years on Erie Street have passed on. They were always there and their absence is noticeable :-(

I never did take their pics, but find a couple on the Internet to remember them by.



Brian sent these hysterical pics - he was sure he'd baby-proofed the play area in front of the television while he was in the kitchen. Baby is very quiet....never good......so he checks. And finds Elliott has the XBox controller, has turned on the television, and is happily scrolling through the menus :-)))) 14 months old.

"Can I help you Dad?"

"See? That's the one I like!"

"Okay, Ima just gonna play this one"

"What? You can come play too, and not just stand there!"

The whole family is weathering children and school in the COVID world of quarantines, closed classes, exposures, and lack of any real plan. It's frustrating and frightening and they're all hanging in there. Over half of our grands have only known masks and limited contact with others. 

Our only personal loss in the SUV-crashed-into-our-house "event" was my precious-to-me Bison skull painted with Red Cloud. It was completely decimated when the fireplace bricks came down. As he could never be duplicated, I asked our friend Rebecca to replace him with my Raven totem. A few days after our Tubac trip, she brought him over for the big reveal. We couldn't be happier!!

The space feels complete now.

Kiksuye Tanka - Remembered Spirit

Following the skull delivery Rebecca and I take a drive to Naco on the border to visit her artist friend who lives there in her cute little RV. She's been under the weather so we have a quick visit including a little tour of her neighbors' studios. So many talented folks!

Living in colorful space - and with a rammed-earth studio!

Home as art.

Winter shows up with February. Night temps drop below 20 with sunny daytime highs in the low 50's. One day's clouds bring hail that covers the yards and stays for a few hours! I'm sure folks from places where real winter lasts for months are unimpressed, but us desert-dwellers are staying inside with the fireplace (yay!) on, enjoying soup and chili and other comfort foods.



Making a few more reservations in the popular spots and trying to tighten up the "after-Michigan" route. The motorhome has a Camping World appointment in a couple weeks and then before we know it we'll be back on the road.

Proud of our Ezra for receiving the award for caring at his school!



20 comments:

  1. Elliot ... too funny!
    Need a team? - Bengals! If they can go-all-the-way I'll be making a nice deposit to my savings account :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a character for sure. Since the Bengals are in my division I struggle rooting for them - but Burrow is a really good QB. Having an investment in the outcome definitely makes it more intense!

      Delete
  2. That’s not hail…that’s chunky snow! :) Fireplace looks awesome, Jodee! Hmmm…no Tessa photos… :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly round pellets of snow! We love the fireplace, can't believe Tessa wasn't in front of it for the pic :-)

      Delete
  3. Love your new Bison Skull. Now the room and wall are complete. We've had some very cool and super windy wintery weather here but not cold enough for sleet. It's okay to have to play winter for a few days. Oh, Elliott!! Too funny! Congratulations, Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree a few days of winter isn't a bad thing. It's already so much warmer :-)

      Delete
  4. A very smart Elliott--that kid is so cute as is Ezra! Your fireplace is beautiful and so inviting. It's been dang cold over here on our side of the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too darn smart :-))) The fireplace is starting to feel like it's always been here which is a nice feeling. I'm surprised we didn't get snow on the Dragoons from that storm.

      Delete
  5. Love Elliott's very casual crossed feet! Congratulations to Ezra, kindness and caring seem to be in short supply these days. I'm glad your exploring and enjoying your own "backyard" this winter. Soon you'll be back in your on the road abode heading for parts unknown! I have to admit, while I'm really enjoying life in this house, I'm beginning to look forward to the "road" ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those boys are so special :-) It is an interesting "combination" of loving having a house and looking forward to getting back to traveling.

      Delete
  6. Us northerners also stay inside when it hails. Loved Elliot's casual attitude. Way to go Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were little hail, but we stayed inside because it got so slippery :-)

      Delete
  7. Cute little Elliot is precious and Ezra so smart. Their generation will mature differently than us for sure. LOVE the skull, absolutely finishes off the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned so much from my sons and am loving continuing that with Ezra and Elliott!

      Delete
  8. I could use from help from Elliott with technology, LOL!!! Love all of the 'treasures' that you're finding to complete your home. That's the fun part, isn't it? I still can't get over how gorgeous your new fireplace is. I know you've been enjoying it with those chilly temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ezra even helped his dad with setting up something awhile back - and Dad is in the business LOL!
      That fireplace is not only beautiful but puts out a LOT of heat, so it's been great this week.

      Delete
  9. Yep, cold and very windy describes the weather so far for Feb. I actually saw a girl in short shorts and a tank top the other day and thought she must be from Alaska! LOVE your new treasures. Everything western appeals to me these days. I definitely need a day trip to Tubac! I am sure Elliott would out smart me in just about everything that has to do with anything that involves controllers. And congrats to Ezra...what an awesome character trait to have and to be recognized for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooo boy that wind was cold!!! It sure makes a difference when it isn't blowing :-) Cracks me up with the littles pick up a cell phone and start swiping to change apps, pretty sure it's in their DNA now :-) I'm very happy to see that Ezra's school recognizes caring and other positive traits!

      Delete
  10. Your grand boys are definitely grand!! I laughed out loud and Elliott. I think my daughter is the last generation to remember before home computers let alone xboxes et cetera. Congrats to Ezra. I love his casual attitude. Your bison's skull is superb though I know you will always miss Red Cloud. After an entire month of snow I'd be happy with just a little hail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm sure you're not impressed with our sprinkle of hail :-)))) My sons remember a short period before computers and video games, but it wasn't long. We were lucky to be on the ranch for a few years and then the acreage in Joshua Tree bordering wide open desert for a couple more. I feel blessed that Rebecca and Michael winter here so she could do the skull!

      Delete