Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Hospital Stay is Never on the List of Things to Do

 September 6 - 10, 2022
Jonesville, North Carolina

For the first time, I modified a blog post after it was published. Originally the previous post included a final note about Bill being in the hospital, but since family didn't know yet I didn't want that to be the way they found out - so I deleted that bit. A couple of you saw it before the change, but Bill was able to tell the boys directly - much better.

Monday afternoon Bill is struggling to catch his breath so I take him across the street to Urgent Care. Unknown to me (for some reason they don't think to look for me in the waiting room) they send him to the hospital in an ambulance 20+ minutes before I ask about his status. I find him at the ER breathing much easier.

We're told he's going to be kept a couple days to deal with pneumonia and other issues. I'm grateful for our current and next-stop RV parks for their flexibility with our necessary travel changes. Also for the ER doctor who manages to get the local hospital to keep Bill here rather than transferring him 45 minutes to Winston-Salem. Although I'm confident he's going to be fine, these factors lessen the stress of medical issues on the road. No one puts a hospital stay on their list of activities!

A big surprise is his positive COVID test. Just as surprising to the hospital staff as they agree he doesn't have symptoms. Alas it means he's on a closed unit where I can only visit once a day for two hours in full gown. Fortunately they allow Tessa to join me, but Bill can't pet her. I test negative.

Safe haven.

Somehow we just knew we'd have strong Internet here :-)

Over the next few days I mostly hang around home before and after our two-hour visits. Wednesday I figure this is a good opportunity to have sushi which Bill doesn't like. The closest is in Mt Airy, 30 minutes away. While the sushi is mediocre, the town that inspired the fictional town of Mayberry RFD has a cute downtown to explore. My favorite discovery is the vintage police cars (there are two) that give visitors tours of the points of interest. Apparently the pic I thought I took, I didn't :-(

Maybe the sushi would have been better if this dude wasn't staring at me the whole time!

A very pretty area.

Mt Airy, NC - the original Mayberry RFD, home of Andy Griffith.

Like the bears and seals found in other small towns, Mt Airy features painted fiddles in their downtown.

It may be Andy's hometown, but Barnie is the most celebrated.

This advert was discovered when the building beside it was demolished - they were built less than a foot apart. It was restored and the space converted to a resting area for historic downtown.

Thursday the doctor(s) confirm Bill is doing great, and can likely come home on Friday. We're ready to have this blip in our plans behind us! I make new reservations for our next stop, and cancel one to make a longer drive that keeps us on schedule to visit friends in Tennessee next week. Like sushi, Thai food is also not a favorite of Bill's. I love it, and make a stop to celebrate the good news. 

Panang Curry at Prime Thai - sooo much better than the sushi!

Every afternoon.

Getting out of the hospital always takes longer than it should, but he's finally released and we're back home together. I guess I just blocked out the whole "you're going to be living in 400 square feet with COVID" reality of his coming home. Of course short of masks and lots of disinfectant and taking immune booster, I'm not sure exactly what there is to do. Not like I can strap him on the roof!   Hmmmmm......

Not sure what the deal is with us and September! In 2020 the slides quit and we came back to Arizona early. Last year the SUV crashed into the house and we were back early again. This year we have this drama! Hopefully he continues to feel better, but we know we might have to return early once again if not. 

More rain expected for our Saturday drive, but we're grateful to be continuing west.

Henry off to pre-K

And so is Reese.

Aaaaand Little M too!!




20 comments:

  1. So glad Bill is home and hopefully recovering as expected! At least in 400 sq ft there are only so many surfaces that have to be disinfected! We managed to avoid Covid while living with a 93yo who caught it...good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Glad to hear of your positive experience :-)) And yes keeping this smaller space disinfected is much easier than the house would be - it sure smells clean!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear he was able to get checked out on Friday. It's amazing how quickly they can deal with Pneumonia. Hope your covid tests continue to be negative. Thanks for letting me know. So many grands off to school. They grow up so fast. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful this all happened after we got to see you!! Yes the treatment seemed quick and I'm hoping it lasts.

      Delete
  3. Good news is always welcome, nice to have Bill home. Trust you remain negative while he recovers.
    Grans going off to preschool. Soon it will be college

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man yeah, all the milestones are going to keep flying by for all our littles!

      Delete
  4. Praying for a speedy recovery for Bill. Pneumonia is never fun and for Joe it was not a quick recovery, but he was having chemo at he time. Also, when I had Covid last spring Joe tested postitive a week later with no symptoms…the vacs and boosters worked well for him. Hope Bill will be back to his “up and at ‘em” self very soon! And take care of yourself !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it happens, but I'll be very surprised if I don't at least test positive with us being in such close quarters. He's doing better but I think it's going to be longer than we'd like to be 100% again. We're blessed it happened after Labor Day so staying places is easier.

      Delete
  5. So glad Bill is on the mend and may he continue to improve. Will covid ever leave us?? When I'm out and about or even if I'm with Mike I will seldom eat beef as that's what we eat so much of at home. I will order salmon or eat Thai food when out with girlfriends, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does feel like it will never go away! So grateful for the vaccines that make it survivable. It always seems like such a treat to have those different yums!

      Delete
  6. Oh no!! I know how careful you two have been (wearing masks, staying away from crowds, getting vaccinations and boosters). Stupid covid! We're so, so glad to hear that Bill is feeling better and back at home. I hope that you'll be able to continue your trip as planned, but more than anything, I hope that you two stay healthy and safe! Hugs to you both, Laurel & Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel and Eric :-) we were lucky to be somewhere with a great little hospital that took good care of him through the worst of it! Just this morning we changed plans again and are going to head back to AZ directly rather than staying here longer and hoping I don't get COVID. I was so looking forward to the area after your summer here last year and we'll have to come back for sure. You guys travel safe. Hope you're enjoying Michigan!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting this "next" chapter for us. We're all glad that Bill his home and that you are still covid free, although I think it's probably like having a ticking time bomb in your little "house". We're sending healthy and happy thoughts to you both and hope that you will at least enjoy the remainder of your westward travels. We're all with you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue! We're definitely hearing the "ticking" and making adjustments to listen to them it :-)))

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear Bill is home for recovery and hope you don't have to put him on the roof. Safe journey home. How could those kids be old enough for school already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the roof hasn't been necessary - we'll see! Their ages vary from 2-4, but it doesn't seem possible any of them are old enough for the big world!

      Delete
  9. We sure hope Bill feels well soon, Jodee! By the way, Blogger stopped sending us emails again back before your Delaware post. We’ve been so busy with the house, we failed to notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! We've done a lot since then!! Don't know why blogger randomly decides to stop doing things :-((

      Delete
  10. So glad Bill escaped the hospital. We enjoyed a day in Mount Airy, Dave is always whistling the theme song to Andy Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downtown Mt Airy reminded me of the corner in Winslow - can't imagine the merchants don't get tired of the same song playing all day!

      Delete