Sunday, December 11, 2022

House Mode in the Desert

 November 18 - December 11, 2022
Tombstone, Arizona

When looking forward time seems to move at a normal, sometimes slower, pace - but looking back time has moved faster than ever! We're in back-at-the-house mode, which always seems much less blog-worthy. As a result I'm also weeks behind on reading what more exciting things our fellow blogging buddies are doing! The more time that goes by the harder it is for me to jump back in. Here's what we've been up to. 

Enjoying dramatic skies every evening.

We return from SoCal a week before our friends arrive for the Thanksgiving holiday, plenty of time to have the motorhome repurposed to guesthouse, and all the groceries bought. 

Jimmy and Maggie are our only "cross-over" friends - went to high school with Jimmy (Maggie has been with us for decades), and they RV several months each year as well. It's great fun having so much in common. They arrive Wednesday from their Kingman, AZ home.

With other high school friends living nearby, and another couple visiting from SoCal, we enjoy several gatherings here and at Donnie and Anna's a mile away. Never imagined when we were preparing to take on the world 50 years ago that we'd be celebrating the holidays in Tombstone when we retired!

Cribbage with a view - Bill, Donnie, Kevin, Turk (Donnie's brother now also living in Tombstone) and Jimmy.

Watching college football at Donnie and Anna's - Jimmy, Donnie, Kevin and Turk (Bill's knee in the left corner). 

Bridgette shuffles for the game "3-13" with Kevin, Donnie, Anna, Jimmy, Maggie and Bill. I'm not a card player so I just listen :-)

Thanksgiving dinner is of course enough for 12, and the five of us enjoy it for three days. Grateful that Bill barbeques the turkey and makes killer sausage dressing, and Jeff makes the deviled eggs, leaving me to fill in with the easy stuff. Maggie's yummy honeybaked ham is the perfect addition!

Also grateful Maggie remembered to get a pic of the spread.

Jeff (damn kids), Bill, Maggie and Jimmy getting ready to dig in!

We enjoy football all day, some pie, and great conversation. A very fun and tasty day. 

Maggie and I take a day trip on Friday to the Amerind Museum where I renew my annual membership, and we enjoy a leisurely visit to the exhibits and gallery. There are more people than I've seen in the past, and I'm happy to see it getting the support it deserves. No photos allowed.  

I forfeit football for another girls' day trip on Sunday to Chiricahua National Monument and the Whitewater Draw. Two of my favorite places in the area, I love sharing them with my dear friend who's never been to either one.

A beautiful blue sky day among the towering rocks.

A good catch and a deep overhang on the right. 

Over the hoodoos, across Sulphur Springs Valley, to the Dragoon Mountains.

Cochise Head - once you see him lying there facing up, you can't not see him!

Miles into Mexico to the south.

Maggie braves the cold wind to learn about Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoons.

After a stop at the visitor center for a few goodies we continue through the gorgeous golden plains to the Whitewater Draw refuge. More water than I've ever seen here means the huge flocks of Sandhill Cranes are almost too far away from the trail to see them. Even at this distance we can hear their unique calls. We're fortunate that about a dozen of the tall gray birds are hanging out near the parking lot for us to enjoy. 




Monday morning Christmas begins! I love decorating the house, and even with no grands here this year I'm excited for the season. After the last three years of having our tree drooping and dry before the big day, I give in and purchase an artificial tree. It's the last one so I leave Lowe's with three big "hunks" of evergreen in the shopping cart - looks like a slaughtered a forest!
It's soooooo easy to put up, the lights all work (both white and color options from the same bulbs), the light flocking and pine cones are lovely, and at 7.5 feet it's the tallest tree I've ever had. With the addition of six more ornaments collected this summer, we have lots of fun travel memories on our tree now.

Tessa is a fan of the tree skirt - every night she drags it out to fluff up and sleep on. Silly dog!

We can hardly remember what the old fireplace looked like - the new one feels like its always been here.

A little holiday spirit in the kitchen.

Ezra's favorite in the neighborhood - I sent him the pic so he knows it's still here making us smile.

With Thursday night football only on Amazon Prime now, we have a new "tradition" of Donnie and Anna coming up for dinner and the game. It's been great fun in addition to Donnie's nearly daily visits for cribbage games :-))

Anna catches dog-petting-duty this week.

Now that we finally have our healthcare coverage we're getting caught up on appointments. We haven't been to a doctor (except for ER visits on the road) since 2019 so there's a few! Our primary care is with a great PA who is also new to the area. I think we're going to be very happy with her. She's also part of a large network in Sierra Vista and Tucson. It's still weird learning how "things are done", with a lot more paperwork and longer waits than we're used to. 

One morning we're surprised with heavy fog along the San Pedro River.

Finally, we've scheduled the installation of dual-pane windows throughout the house that should be done in early March. Getting rid of the rattling paper-thin windows that let in a lot of cold and heat will be a great improvement, and new picture windows in the living and dining rooms will enhance our lovely views. 

Tonight's stunner.


The amazing closing act.

Oliver's first Christmas <love>.



18 comments:

  1. Again I will say I so admire your gang of such close friend from yours and Bill's high school days! It's interesting that you don't play cards--I do but not well and it's not one of my favorite things to do. I grew up in a deeply religious household and card playing was a sin. When I married Mike, his parents loved to play cards and just could not understand that I didn't know HOW to play cards. Love your new Christmas tree--your reasoning is why I went from fresh to artificial. Yea on the new windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cards have just never appealed to me, but our friends love to play all the time :-) I'm really loving this new tree!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving! Love the eyes and nose on your rig. What football team do you guys root for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish our rig had those eyes and nose but it's a neighbor down the road - ours isn't visible to anyone so wouldn't get the proper attention :-))) I'm a Steelers fan and Bill roots for the Cowboys. And yet we still live together!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful skies, wonderful friends and a massive feast. I'd say you had a very special Thanksgiving.
    Your home looks so festive and ready for Christmas. May it be a very Merry Christmas.
    I agree with Ezra, the Rudolf RV is pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've definitely had a great holiday season :-)))

      Delete
  4. It is a bit harder to blog during the "at home" phase of our lives but I'm glad you make the effort. When you care about people it's nice to catch up with them and their every day life. Nice that you have friends close by and a sweet (nicely repaired and redone I might add) little house to spend down time with. Oh, those sunsets!!!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so happy when I connect with everyone so I have no excuse for not checking in regularly :-)

      Delete
  5. It’s Gay…beautiful skies! The sky is one of the reasons we decided to live in Arizona. Looks like a yummy feast with wonderful family and friends to share it with. I love your Christmas tree. We also chose an artificial tree last year…it is a lot easier although ours didn’t have lights on it. That was way smart! Chiricahua NM or Whitewater Draw are on our “must go there” list as we haven’t explored that part of AZ yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of this skinny lighted tree for our corner! Although it's a bit run down, Wilcox has a couple RV parks that put you within easy access for Chiricahuas, Fort Bowie, Cochise Stronghold and Whitewater Draw - maybe on your way for a week in Las Cruces?? It's a beautiful area.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear from you and know that all is well. Those last 2 pictures really are stunners. No wonder you want new windows with those views. Love the reindeer RV. What a creative idea. Also love the Cochise profile. Envy you having so many friends so nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friend proximity was a deciding factor in our getting a winter place here rather than a summer place in the PNW - we do enjoy having them nearby! Of course the 360 degree views helped make up our minds :-))))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks so cozy and festive! We can't have a tree because of you-know-who! Magnolia just can't resist batting the ornaments or chewing on the lights, lol. I always enjoy seeing the Chiricahuas and Whitewater Draw in your photos...takes me back to our wonderful trips there! Love that you're enjoying your home so much and spending time with friends. You've created such a beautiful place to be in the winter, and I agree, your fireplace is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my share of pets who've made Christmas trees a challenge! I'm glad we have friends come to visit who give me that extra push to get out and visit our wonderful sights :-)

      Delete
  9. Nice to be surrounded by friends and family for Thanksgiving. Your home looks lovely. I need to explore more of your area, in warmer times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October and March usually have the best temps although it's windy March-May.

      Delete
  10. I do understand how easy it is to get behind on reading blogs. We were east for a week at the beginning of Dec to visit Jessica and Dan and then up to my mother's. It was nice get a technology break (I didn't take my computer). I found I really enjoyed taking a break. I have too many books to read and puzzles to do so I am enjoying not checking in so much. Sure sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends. Lovely sunsets!! Hope Bill is continuing to make positive progress. Love that Tessa is enjoying the tree skirt!! Merry Christmas to you, Bill, Jeff, and Tessa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Bill is doing well, I'm so glad he's finally a real non-smoker. Hope you and John had a great Christmas!!

      Delete