Sunday, December 10, 2023

That Time In-Between

 November 26 - December 8, 2023
Tombstone, Arizona

There is a marked drop in the energy level following our family visit. We miss them immediately, and already can't wait for their Christmas visit. Excited that Jeff will be joining us all as well. Weird to think we haven't seen him since April, after his being part of our everyday for a few years. 

"They" say looking forward can make us anxious (fear of the unknown, the "what-if's), and looking back can make us depressed (the "should-have-done's, the losses, the failures), and focusing on the present day is best for our mental and emotional health. I can't say I disagree for the most part, although I found great enjoyment in looking forward to the travels I was planning and the places we'd be seeing. I also find big smiles and reasons to be grateful when I go back and read past blog posts. Most of our blogging friends (so grateful for all of you) have commented at one time or another that one of the main reasons they blog is to capture what's happening in their lives to always remember the good times. And the less-than-good-times they survived and learned from. Wrapping the present day in the good memories of my past and the joyful anticipation of future events is a comfortable place for me these days. 

Christmas 2016 in New Orleans.

Christmas 2018 Marathon, Texas

Our present day is pretty good. Bill continues to have no ill effects from dialysis, the people who care for him there are friendly and professional, and he fills the time with audible books and television. I keep busy (Christmas decorating and shopping and wrapping and immersing myself in the season has been a wonderful diversion) on the days he's in treatment whether I drive him or he drives himself. When we don't have other appointments, Rebecca and I enjoy breakfast and craft group on Tuesdays and usually a day trip on Thursday or Saturday. 

And the weather is glorious! Bright sunshine with chilly mornings, warm and breezy afternoons. We have one day of a good female rain, slowly soaking into our dry land. Nothing more cleansing than the smell of washed greasewood and softening earth. 

San Pedro River

Back porch.
One of the many places from Gay's blog posts that I'm excited to visit is Gathering - A Vintage Market, open once a month (twice in December) in Tucson. Rebecca and I check it out the first weekend of the month, and have a fabulous time perusing the seasonal dazzles on display. We make several rounds in the converted warehouse, visit the attached home decor stores (oh to have a big house and a bigger bank account!), and make a few fun purchases. 

Floor to very tall ceiling Christmas joy.

The many 12 foot trees are stunning with hand-blown, hand-crafted ornaments of all kinds.

We warm up along the cute brick sidewalk in front.


I send Bill a pic of this - he agrees we probably don't have room for it :-)

Donnie comes up for Cribbage every week, Anna and  I get together for coffee and catching up. It's lovely having long-time friends so close. 

We're planning our first mini-travel for Super Bowl weekend. We'll drive the Jeep to Kingman and spend three nights at our friends' lovely home. It will be our first adventure without the motorhome, but we'll be staying in their fifth-wheel so the transition will be gentle :-) Bill's dialysis team will arrange for Friday and Monday treatments at their Kingman facility so that will also give us a trial-run for future excursions. With his 50th reunion coming up in April (we already have reservations at the RV park in Desert Center) it will be helpful to know how it works!



I love this time of year.

Elliott, Brian, Shalise, Ezra and friend in their small town holiday parade.

M and M get to meet Pete at a local event.

The youngest, Cassidy, lighting up her world already.



16 comments:

  1. HA! Cassidy's smile could light up anybody's world not just hers! It's been awhile since my grand-girls were that size, cherish the moments.
    So good to hear you and Bill are adjusting to the new normal and making plans to extend your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do grow up so dang fast!! Thanks Jeff, we're doing good.

      Delete
  2. Love your beautiful holiday pictures. Your testing out how to get treatment on the road reminds me so much of what David and I did for several years after his diagnosis. I'm so glad to hear that this is all going so well for Bill and that you are busy and happy with friends. Thanks for your posts and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you two often and how you made it work for as long as you did <3 <3. Loving wrapping ourselves in the holiday dazzle.

      Delete
  3. I do like to have something to look forward to and I'm one of those bloggers--I love to look back over past blogs. Love your Christmas decorations, your house looks great! And Tessa! Here's hoping the "remote" dialysis works well in January and I'm glad to hear Bill is doing well with the treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much pleasure I get from reading back over the years - and being so amazed at all the incredible places we "lived". My first faux tree and I'm liking it :-)

      Delete
  4. I agree…Cassidy’s smile is priceless! I loved the red chandelier, but Joe’s reaction was the same as Bills…😃! I love looking back thru the years in our blog…such fun memories. I’m just now beginning to enjoy photos and memories of our life on the road with four pups without boohooing like a baby. Like you, I am so glad to have the years documented. I love this time of year too! And I’m sending positive thoughts that all goes well for you both on your upcoming mini-travel adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for another great Tucson spot to explore - Rebecca and I had a great time. I wonder if that chandelier will be there next year :-)) Yes, some of the memories are bittersweet.

      Delete
  5. "They" are not always right. Live your life the way it makes you happy. Looking to the future with something to look forward to can be very motivating and energizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sometimes "they" are wise, but we have to use our own experiences to direct our focus :-)

      Delete
  6. Love revisiting memories that come up on FB. It's still hard to believe we lived on the road for eight years. Boy, it was such a wonderful time filled with new adventures daily and meeting new friends. Glad you were able to work out Bill's treatments so you can get back out there visiting friends. Your Christmas house is beautiful especially with Fluffy Dog as the center:) Cute grand photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a better way to live one's retirement than traveling fulltime :-)) And being able to reach back and enjoy all the memories makes it even better! Fluffy Dog thinks she's always the center - pretty sure she's right.

      Delete
  7. I'm like everyone else here...I love looking back and revisiting memories through our blog and photos, and just like you, I always loved planning our never-ending exciting future adventures! It takes time to adjust to a more "settled down" life. I'm getting there, baby step by baby step, LOL. So glad Bill is doing well and so, so happy that you'll be able to continue with shorter trips. You certainly have plenty of wonderful things to explore in your area. And you find all the good stuff! Even if you didn't have quite the right place for the red chandelier, it's fun to look at. :-) Happy Holidays, dear friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're adapting to your more settled life in NC. It's such a beautiful place you've landed! I'd love to see where the chandelier ends up - can't you just imagine?

      Delete
  8. Cassidy looks like a little Glo-Worm. Do sweet! How nice that you can get away and still get Bills treatment. I hope all is successful.

    ReplyDelete