Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Mountains Are Calling

June 21-24, 2016
Estes Park, CO


We extend our time in Longmont to take care of some town appointments. The weather is hot and humid and I don't feel much like doing anything outside.


The outdoor thermometer is in the direct sun, but the air temp of over 100 degrees is not pleasant
Tuesday I get a quick haircut - long overdue since November. Our eye exam appointments take a while as we "shop" for frames and make arrangements for test results to be emailed to us, and shipping for the new glasses. We take our time - the people at Pearle Vision are fun, and it's air conditioned :-)

Just leave the AC on, and I'll stay in here
Wednesday I get a manicure and pedicure, something I never make the time for. As always, I promise myself I'll do it more often. We'll see.

Groceries and back home. Longmont is a very nice town. Clean, nice people, has everything we need. But I'm so done with the oppressive temps I'm definitely ready to pack up and get to the mountains.

I'll come out when it cools off
The clouds that bring the humidity also bring nice sunsets
On our way out of town Thursday morning we stop to get the motorhome washed. It's a first-come-first-serve wash so we don't have an appointment. I'm assured it will be ready to go if we want to go have breakfast. No problem.

Easy access along our route
Unfortunately the rig hasn't moved when we get back. Another short trip up the road through construction traffic for DEF, and this time when we return they are washing it in the large bay.

And that's all they do. Not only is drying not included in the price, but even if I want to pay more, they have no towels today. I'm not happy, but at least it is finally clean.

Winding our way up Hwy 34, we enjoy the beauty of the full river running alongside the road. The temps are lower, the sky is clearer - I can feel my cranky-pants mellowing out.

When we arrive at Spruce Lake RV Park in Estes Park, CO, I'm told my reservation has been cancelled. Some days you just get it all. The manager's name is Murphey - of course :-)

I keep my sense of humor and she figures out another spot for our four nights. It turns out to have one of the best views in the park. Whew! I'm so relieved to get set up and relax.

View from our front window
View from our back yard
Big Thompson runs along the campground - very fast, very loud
Bill fishes in the river for a while and I chill in the zero gravity chair, enjoying the view.

Around 9:30 the sky lights up, followed by thunder and a good thirty minute rain storm. Unlike on the plains below, it is almost cold. Wonderful.

Friday morning Bill is out early, fishing up the road at Mary's Lake. Tessa and I walk around the park and along the river. Almost every site is filled, over half with families on vacation. 


Out the coffee shop window - there are no bad views here
After breakfast in town we head to the national park. Four entry gates are open, all have lines of 8-10 vehicles. I see a small sign that directs me to a lane with one other vehicle - and an automatic gate for annual passes. Score! We're through in less than a minute. As soon as our America the Beautiful pass expired last month, we purchased another one. They are well worth the fee!

Not far up the road there are lighted signs telling all those entering that the parking lots are full. They recommend we return after 4 PM. No one is turning around, including us.

We take a different road from our day here with the kids, and check out a campground in a pretty valley. Dry camp only, water and dump station at the entrance/exit.

One pull out gives us a few minutes to enjoy the views in all directions. Not long after that the Jeep starts cutting out again, stalls when we turn around, and makes a weird new noise. That's enough for me to head home.





The parking lot that isn't full is the Visitors Center just outside the park entrance. We stop to look for one thing. A porcupine finger-puppet for Ezra. 

We have been sending him critter puppets since we hit the road. In Malpais National Monument I saw a porcupine, but didn't buy it because they were closing. I've been looking for another one ever since. 

They have them :-) And now Ezra will have one too.

With the Jeep issues, we hang out at home for the rest of our day. Tomorrow the park's lake is open for fishing so I don't imagine we'll move too far from our front door.

It is wonderful to be in the cooler mountains!







17 comments:

  1. Triple digits are no fun...glad you made it to the mountains and relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo much nicer up here!! And hoping it's cooling off at lower elevations when we head there on Monday.

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! I hope you get the jeep fixed... Sending you all positive vibes that all hoes well. Lol love Tessa's idea.. Wake me up when it gets cooler. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I keep sending out nice cool, blue thoughts as well :-) She's definitely got the right idea!

      Delete
  3. You are brave people to endure more than 30 minutes in a place where the temperature is 100 degrees let alone 118. I'd have serious cranky pants too. All blessings on Willis Carrier.
    Hope your takes forever and we don't dry wash was inexpensive. Getting Winnona washed on the road is always a hassle. Campgrounds say no and self washes are seldom big enough. Glad you made it to the mountains and higher temps. Sorry everyone else is there too. What's up with that jeep. I've always wanted one but now 'm thinking maybe what they say about Just Empty Every Pocket may be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the AC kept up with the temps in the plains - and we got to leave :-) The wash wasn't expensive so that was a blessing - and their lack of communication saved me a tip. We've been really happy with our used '07 Jeep. Like the motorhome, finding someone who can actually figure out what's wrong is the challenge. We'll get another Jeep for sure when we give this one up.

      Delete
  4. Love this place:) We stay at the park right across from Mary's Lake. Since we were there June 5th, the RV park was empty which was very nice. A lot of the hiking trails in the park were just opening but still had snow which was fun. And gas prices were much higher so the people weren't there!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a nice park too - more wonderful views all around! Less people sounds so nice :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking that Murphy found you for sure. It's not fun to have him around. He tends to cause too much mischief! We've been in those RV washes before. The wash is fairly cheap but they don't finish the job. At least the biggest part of the dirt gets off and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh when I saw her name was Murphey (her spelling)! Definitely nice to have all the dirt off :-)

      Delete
    2. Love those cooler mountain temps! I wish we could get our rig washed. Enjoy the fishing and the park.

      Delete
  6. I love those little finger puppets! I always want them for myself. :-)) So glad you've gotten into some cooler temps—your new site looks beautiful. Hope whatever is going on with the Jeep is easily fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been amazed at the variety and quality of the puppets - I agree I want a set!! Fingers crossed for our next try in Cody for the Jeep.

      Delete
  7. Ahhh...love the mountains in the summer! We are headed for Gunnison Friday, can't wait!
    Estes Park is such a fun place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed Gunnison when we did the re-route in May :-( Already looking forward to more mountains next week!

      Delete
  8. A haircut and pedicure would be such a long missed treat, especially in the heat but ACed. How does a reservation just suddenly get cancelled. Glad they could still accommodate you. The Park Pass is a must and I still haven't bought my geezer. Wish we had an automated lane like that. Plus we should have a sign for full parking lots. It's a crazy busy summer. I have two chipmunks, a Kaibab squirrel, and Raven finger puppets. They are so fun. Hope you get the Jeep problem fixed.

    I'm way far behind and trying to catch up.

    You're suppose to wash the RV? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're catching up, missed you! That was our first automated lane but there was no signage, we just lucked out. Those finger puppets are so dang cute!!!

      Delete