Friday, April 21, 2023

All Along the Watchtower

April 18 - 19, 2023
Cameron, Arizona   

We have perfect sleeping weather Monday night - 45 degrees with a light, windows-open-all-night breeze. The expected wind is kicking up before 8 AM, and after showers and a light breakfast we're pulling in the slides against the 25 mph dust. Well, we attempt to pull them all in. The full-size slide binds and stops even after a few attempts to reset it. We both suspect the horrible condition of our miles on I-40 messed with the tracks. It's pulled in enough to lock down the topper so we head out for our day at the canyon. We are NOT missing it again!


This really is a great spot to stay for visiting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A stunningly beautiful thirty-minute drive along the Little Colorado River takes us to the east gate, just 500 yards from our initial destination of Desert View. On the drive we're unable to stop at the lookouts run by the Nation as they're closed - probably due to the high winds (don't want tourists getting blown off the edge!). Can't complain when the views from the highway are so amazing.
 
Little Colorado River Canyon

Pretty rock formations.

The river carved deep canyons throughout the valley.

Waiting for just three other vehicles at the gate is a good sign. The good continues with a close parking space at Desert View. At 59 degrees the 20 mph winds make for a chilly walk around. The incredible canyon views, and finally getting to see Mary Colter's Watchtower, are well worth the briskness of the morning. 

Our first glimpse of the canyon.

There it is! Mary's vision realized.

Up close to the canyon with dirt blowing in the distance.



Windows on the first floor frame the beauty outside.

Framed black mirrors move back and forth to change the view - they're very cool!

With sustained winds of 30 mph back at the rig we're in no hurry to return home. Instead we take advantage of less crowds and clear skies (the canyon itself is hazy from the blowing dust). I'm able to walk all of the overlooks - it's wonderful to see this natural wonder from so many angles, to capture multiple perspectives. 





Our only wildlife sighting - nearly the size of Tessa!





We find the crowds at the huge, full parking lots of the Visitor Center. This we pass without hesitation! Happily we find plenty of open parking at the market and deli just down the road. A couple of surprisingly fresh salads make for a nice mid-day break at our turn-around point. 

The wind gets stronger "up here" as the day progresses, but I'm hopeful they're subsiding back at home. As soon as we're out of the junipers and pinion pines it's clear this isn't the case :-( Even with all the dust we can see the expanse of the Painted Desert in the distance. Northern Arizona is a treasure.

Although we finally see the Watchtower and this corner of the canyon, Cameron still doesn't like us.

Winds rock the rig with gusts up to 48 mph throughout the night. Maneuvering is tricky with all the slides (almost) pulled in. It's still windy in the morning but seems to be slowing down and the forecast on our route looks good. We cross our fingers and try pulling in the big slide all the way. No. We try moving it out. No. It's clearly gotten tweaked, I'm sure from the huge bounces on I-40. Not our first damage from a crappy interstate (I-10 Louisiana!). Bill is able to apply enough pressure on the outside to get it within 2 inches of "all the way in". Good enough, we're on the road by 9:30.



North through Tuba City and Kayenta, then a new route for us into Bluff, Utah on Hwy 191. This is not a "gotta-pee" friendly area! The last 30 miles are brutal with 25 mph side winds and rough pavement. The views are wonderful, albeit dusty.

Cadillac Ranch RV Park is a small, no frills location with 30 amp FHU (they also have 50 but they're full). Kerrie has been in touch this morning and greets us when we arrive. I seem to remember I got one of the last sites in Bluff when I made the reservation in January. 

We're here for a week with the large slide pulled in. Alas, I refuse to let it ruin our travels - not even going to a laundromat! We have lots of fun things planned :-)

Still room to cook :-)

Reese and Penelope take their parents on a flight to see family.

Elliott and Ezra take their parents to the poppy fields in SoCal.












18 comments:

  1. Dang it--there is always something isn't there--if it's not the wind, it's the RV misbehaving! Arizona wind has been brutal this spring! I've always wanted to go to the south rim and now after seeing your photos I really want to! I like your attitude not letting that pesky slide ruin your trip! There's those Ezra eyes again--love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, always something! I think there's so much more to see at the south rim and definitely recommend it. We're adapting to our smaller space :-))

      Delete
  2. Good on you for hanging in there and not letting the slide mishap slow you down. For all our travels, we have yet to make it to the Grand Canyon. One of these days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in California all my life and didn't see Yosemite until we were fulltimers so I get it :-) It's more than just a big hole in the ground and worth taking at least a day to see.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jodee…now we have a new place to go in our home state. Somehow I missed Mary’s Watchtower in all my research about The Canyon. I love the view out the window! I’m so sorry to read about the big slide not cooperating. And I applaud your great attitude! Yippee…we love Bluff! Can’t wait for pics! The last time we spent time there, the low was 19 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron is a funky little place to stay and see that beautiful area - we've done the drive in one day to Tombstone but prefer to break it up. We're loving Bluff as well - SO much to see here!

      Delete
  4. We've enjoyed many overnights in Bluff, including a stop at Cadillac Ranch. You're going to enjoy the area.
    Our slide refused to extend on a trip. The cause was, as you suspect, a tweaked rail. Glad youi are able to continue your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to stay, nice and quiet and lovely hosts. We're hoping for a slide fix in Provo, and that it's a quick one!

      Delete
  5. The Grand Canyon never disappoints, even with high winds. Glad you soldier on despite the adversities (although it would be nice if the gods that be would allow you one problem free trip.....) Enjoy the rest of your explorations, the area around Bluff is one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're definitely ready for a break! The weather has cooperated so far so there's that :-)

      Delete
  6. The Grand Canyon is always grand. So glad you were able to hit some spots you wanted to see. It's all about the journey when in the MH even if it is sometimes a little cramped. You always have such a positive attitude:) Hope you are able to get the slide repaired in Torrey. Flying with a family of little ones is a real chore. But everyone is smiling:) Awesome family photo of Ezra and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking we could do a smaller rig - Bill does not agree :-)) One of the real advantages to my boys being seven years apart was traveling was easier!

      Delete
  7. Windows open at 45 degrees! No wonder you don’t mind the 29 degree nights. That and the dust are keeping me from Arizona for winter. 48 mph would scare me to death. I wouldn’t sleep a wink. I take it I should skip I 40 if I ever do head that way. But how do I get from Florida to Texas without I-10 in Louisiana. Ugggg. No wonder I haven’t done this alone.
    The Watchtower is hands down my favorite building at the Grand Canyon. I sure would like to have seen the look outs run by the nation through your lens. Bummer about the winds. I remember the views out the windows look like paintings. So beautiful. We were lucky enough to stay in the RV park (no great shakes there but location location) so we visited the Watchtower multiple times. Never too many or too long for me.

    Closing Grands pictures is a nice tradition. Even better with pictures of your kids, their parents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you the whole time we were at the tower. I agree Mary was a gifted architect and visionary. You can get past the worst of I-10 in Louisiana by taking 90 through Lafayette :-) I-40 was fine from NC to NM so I think AZ is the one area to avoid. Wind when parked usually doesn't bother me when we pull in the slides. I do sleep with a heavy quilt :-))))

      Delete
  8. Oh, that is such a bummer about your slide!!! Those danged bumpy roads! But I love your attitude. You're in such a gorgeous spot, even with high winds and having to go to a dreaded laundromat, LOL. You got some wonderful photos of the Grand Canyon. Carry on, friends! Hugs to you three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible surroundings sure help when things act up! After so many tries to see the tower, we sure lucked out with that beautiful day. So far we've had a lot less wind (although we have had some daily) than last year's route heading east.

      Delete
  9. There were so many great viewpoints on the South Rim, but I liked Watchtower the best. It was so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you persisted. Tower and Lipan are my favorite SR GC views. Bonus for Cameron camp is eating at the Lodge. Bummer about the slide. I am so far behind I'm sure it's fixed by now.

    ReplyDelete