Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Exploring Those Amazing Valleys

 April 23 - 26, 2023
Bluff, Utah

Sweet views from home.

After a lazy day at home on Saturday to avoid any crowds, we head out Sunday morning under sunny skies. In this area the drives to anywhere are breath-taking. Having gorgeous destinations adds to the magic.

Valley of the Gods was part of Bears Ears until a proclamation by the 45th president removed the area from the national monument. It remains protected by BLM as an area of Critical Environmental Concern. Dispersed camping is allowed at several locations throughout, and a small off-grid B&B is located near the western entrance at Hwy 261. There are no services, no signage, and limited cell coverage. The drive is 17 miles of dirt - two-way between Highways 261 and 163. 

The current "names" of the monuments are those given by locals over the years. I'm sure the tribes have original names, but I don't find them online. 

From Hwy 163

Seven Sailors

Sitting Hen

Un-named

Battleship Butte

I would have called this "loose teeth".

Another un-named stand looking like a choir ready to serenade us.

Castle Butte

Santa's Sleigh

Feeling small among the gods.

One of a handful of trees in the valley.

Interesting blue rock creek bed.

We end on Hwy 261. To the right is Moki Dugway, a left turn takes us back to Hwy 161 with a turn off for Goosenecks State Park on the way. $5 entrance, cash only. Not some place we would ever take the RV, but many do dry camp along the steep, un-fenced cliffs over the San Juan River. Two gooseneck turns in one location is rare, and the view is worth a stop. There is one spot with large rocks along the edge where I don't feel like gravity is sucking me over the side - everywhere else is terrifying :-)



Lots of loose dirt and shale along the edge - what could go wrong?

Nope.

The late afternoon weather is still beautiful so we make a side trip to Mexican Hat Rock. On previous stops here there was no access to the river behind the rock, but now there is a dirt road with dispersed camping spots. Several campers are parked between the trees and the dusty road. The incredible chevron-patterned hills along the river are some of the most unique we've seen anywhere. 

Easy to see inspiration for pottery and baskets.




The "backside" we've not seen before.

There aren't many eatery options anywhere nearby, but we give the new Canyon Smokehouse BBQ a try. While Bill's is mediocre, my brisket salad is tasty. 

Hoping for less people, and leaving the best for last, Monday we explore the sacred beauty of Monument Valley. There are few locations that speak to me like this place. Even with several other vehicles that want to move at a much faster pace (I pull over on the dirt road to let them keep moving away), and the occasional load of guided tours in pickup beds, I connect with the spirit and beauty here in a very special way. I remember my Robert Mirabal CD this time, and highly recommend it for this 1-2 hour experience. Of course just seeing all the unique formations and long views makes for a great day!

The first view beacons us to come visit.

This hilltop is now officially called "Forrest Gump Scenic Point" with pull-outs and reduced speed limits. We arrive in time to see Forrest himself running up the hill!

First up are the Mitten Buttes - West and East

One of two monuments named for people (in this case the only non-native person) - Merrick Butte is named for silver miner Jack Merrick.

Four wheel drive is not needed but there are plenty of bumps and rough spots throughout the park.

This not-in-the-brochure combination catches my eye above the trail. 

Elephant Butte 

Camel Butte

The "other side" of Elephant Butte.

Iconic Ford's Point today

From this 1925 scene in The Vanishing American, to Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer in The Lone Ranger, the location has hosted dozens of movie makers. 

Three Sisters can be seen from throughout the park, this view from Ford's Point.
At a slow pace you can see magical things like these wind spirits carved by nature.

From a distance they blend into the varnish.

Totem Pole surrounded by the 12 Dancers - faces and movement come alive the longer you visit.

The sun draws the gold from the rock.

Rain God Mesa - a large and powerful place. 

So much to just see.

Once Artists' Point, this stunning long view is now named Navajo Code Talker Point.


The Thumb

The Hub - representing the hub of a wheel. 

I could easily come here for days in a row and never tire of the beauty. Grateful that we had this perfect day, I'm already looking forward to our return.

Lunch at Gouldings up the road is mediocre, but the historic site is always a fun stop. 

It was Harry Goulding who brought John Ford and John Wayne here to film Stagecoach, and ultimately Monument Valley into theaters around the world. 

Apparently we can catch a ride home from here!


Big Chief is one of several monuments visible outside the park.

My favorite is Bear and Rabbit. Love that Bear is eating from a honey pot and that Rabbit's little mouth is visible.

Castle Butte with Bear and Rabbit

La Sal Mountains - one more time :-)

Our week in Bluff has been great - I'm so glad I booked a full week here. Breakfast on Tuesday at Twin Rocks Cafe is our third stop here where the blue corn pancakes are yum as is the sage sausage. Wednesday morning we're on our way to Torrey, Utah, to visit my favorite national park in Utah, and more of the state's natural beauty.  

Youngest grand, Oliver, is excited to see his Virginia cousin Reese in SoCal. 

Happy Henry is getting so big.


18 comments:

  1. I am awe struck every time we drive thru Monument Valley. There is nothing quite like view of those beautiful red rocks agains a blue sky and white puffy clouds. So glad it was a nice day for your drive…gorgeous photos Jodee. Mexican Hat puts a smile on my face when we ride by. Haven’t made the stop at Goosenecks…should add it to the list. Nice view from your RV. I love your cute owl planters and stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gay - it's one of those places that begs you to keep taking photos around every turn :-) My little owls make me smile and are good travelers. They've seen a lot of different places over the last few years.

      Delete
  2. Gay said it 'AWE'some! what great pics of such a mesmerizing valley. We've enjoyed the valley while staying at Goldings. Your pictures bring make some special memories.
    Who mention a perfect spot for this October's eclipse, boondocking in the Garden of the Gods! Cadillac Ranch has 'special' rates for that weekend ... more than twice what we paid there last year.
    burger King in Kayenta serves the same burger as the rest, but houses a large tribute to the original 29 Navajo Code Talkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for the reminder that Anne Hillerman's newest book is out! We've read all of Tony's and hers and I downloaded this one on audible yesterday for our travels. There are many times when we're on the Navajo Nation that Chee's name comes up :-)) The last eclipse shadow was one of our favorite experiences, I'll have to check the map and see where we should be this time. Yes, the exhibit at that BK is pretty cool - I think we stopped there last time because you had put it on my list :-)

      Delete
  3. It's posts like this that make me want to jump into the camper and head down that way. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pull of the red rock is strong!!! Glad you're coming along with us for a long distance fix :-)

      Delete
  4. I never tire of visiting any rock formations. Thanks for such a great showing of both Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley. I love your new name "Loose Teeth!" Perfect! Glad you had such a beautiful day for this journey. CRNP is my favorite, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get a good laugh at some of the names we make up for what we see! It speaks well of a place that both a nimble and a non hiker love the same park so much. I'm looking forward to this week of oohs and ahhs - that drive on 95 was a good start!

      Delete
  5. Love your photos of one of our favorite places and I'm glad the weather was perfect--thanks for taking us along again! We camped on the edge of Gooseneck's one time--not as close as that RV in your photos but close enough. Walking Emmi in the dark that night (with a flashlight) was eerie considering how close we were. I woke in the middle of the night to Michael pacing--our closeness to the edge was freaking him out--he couldn't sleep--not doing that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoughts of walking that area at night make me cringe! I'm with Michael, doubt I'd sleep well. But it is a unique and beautiful place so part of me gets the draw. Glad you're coming along to a place you also love.

      Delete
  6. Ah....one of my favorite places to explore...actually several of my favorite places to explore. Love the "loose teeth" formation but I'm surprised you didn't make note of the "copper Jeep" formation. And, how lucky to see Forrest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clearly missed that formation reference LOL! As beautiful as that view is from the top of the rise, seeing all the people taking pics of themselves running on the road was very entertaining. Fortunately all the drivers were using caution at low speeds so it wasn't as dangerous as it appears.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pictures of two places so on my list, Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley. So when should I go there? April? May? Looks like Gooseneck is out as a place to stay. Thanks for your caution. Is Bluff the best for seeing them both? An hour to Monument and 25 min to Gods it looks like. Hope I can watch the two movies you mentioned again. With DVDs disappearing and streaming being the only possibility (or not for folks like me with weak internet connection) I may not be able to. I hate this. What are people without tons of bucks for internet and streaming services supposed to do......but I digress.

    I prefer to refer to said individual as just 45. He was never my president. Just as I was grumbling over his park manipulations I laughed out loud at “loose teeth” – just so!

    The chevron picture is amazing. Inspiration for pottery for sure. That little “hat” rock perched up on what looks like no neck is incredible. Your wind spirits picture is simply wonderful. This was a fabulous post Jodee and topped of just right at the end with the grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was perfect for us at the end of April. October is also lovely. There are two nice parks in Monument Valley and then it's about 30 mins to Valley of the Gods - but Bluff is a delightful little town and the Cadillac Ranch where we stayed is much less expensive. You might be able to get Lone Ranger at Red Box if you have one nearby. So glad you enjoyed the post. I could have spend another week there, but then I'm loving Torrey too :-))

      Delete
  8. We never made it to Monument Valley or Goosenecks. We’ll have to remedy that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to move it to the top of your list for sure - you and Diana will love it.

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous tour! We love that area and your photos bring back so many good memories...and also stoke my enthusiasm for a return trip. Bluff is a great location for exploring and we always enjoyed staying at Cadillac Ranch. I've been looking for an Airbnb in Bluff!

    Listening to Robert Mirabel while traveling slowly through that magical landscape is just perfect. We do the same. :-)) Thank you for sharing your beautiful, leisurely journey. I enjoy the details, including your gorgeous view through your window and your breakfast of blue corn pancakes and sage sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hear the name of it, but I did hear a couple talking about an AirBnB in Bluff that they were enjoying so I know there's at least one :-) Always fun to have you along!

      Delete